2.10.2009

Winter Weather and Star Student



This winter has been a bit more "winter-like" than the last couple of years. It's been cold and rainy and honestly, it's been a nice change of pace. Although, I have to admit that it's taken me a little while to figure out how to dress for this cooler weather. :) The other day the kids were playing and Kaleia asked, "What's that noise?" I wasn't sure what she was talking about, but took a peek outside and we realized that there was white falling from the sky along with the rain! (How she heard this I'll never quite understand.) Anyway, we quickly bundled up and got out to the porch. It didn't last long (just a couple of minutes), but we all experienced sleet for the first time. I know anyone from outside of Southern California is probably laughing right now, but for those of us who rarely see the temps. below 50, it was pretty exciting.

In Kaleia's class each student has a week in which they are the "Star Student". It's basically a week where the other kids are able to get to know more about them (we did a poster highlighting facts about Kaleia and some of her favorite things) and the star student is able to bring in special items from home to share with their class. Kaleia was the star student this week and one of the days decided that she wanted to bring her family to "share" with the class.

I had to capture this image as it's what I see in my mind every day as I say goodbye to Kaleia and Young each morning. Young has dropped her off at school nearly every day this year to keep me from having to rush out the door each morning, but I think it's given them a special time together.

Here's Kaleia showing us how they line up when it's time to go into class.

Her teacher was kind enough to take a picture of us while Kaleia was "sharing" us with her class. Kaleia introduced us to everyone and then the kids are able to ask three questions and then make 3 comments. Brodie wasn't too sure about being put in the spotlight (I'm making mental notes on that for the future) in case you are wondering about his expression. Kaleia called on the various students and would respond to the things that they said. It's really funny to see how the minds of kindergarten kids work! One of the little boys comments was, "I like your mom." To which Kaleia replied, "Me too, she's beautiful." (Envision my melting heart here!) As her teacher was bringing share time to a close she asked Kaleia, "Does your daddy have to go to work?" and she said (in a very, matter of fact sort of way), "Yeah, he's always late." We know that isn't true and have no idea where she got this, but got a good laugh out of it.

No comments: