7.10.2008

Our Little Fish

Back in the beginning of May Kaleia started taking swim lessons two times a week. She has spent each summer in her short life scared to leave the steps of the pool, so getting her over this fear was important, as well as making sure she can be water safe. For the first month and a half I spent each lesson time in the kiddy pool with Brodie while Kaleia cried and wailed through the entire lesson! I wasn't too sure what she was getting out of this time, but we continued to go. Thankfully a friend was there to reassure me that her son had done the same thing last summer and that in the midst of it all he had actually learned to swim. :)

By the middle of June we had a couple of good lessons where she actually did swim on her own for short distances. I'm not sure if she realized what she was doing, but she ended one of her lessons actually smiling and laughing with her teacher. Miss Erinn (her teacher) told me that she thought we had reached a breaking point and that things would continue to look up from there.

Well, Kaleia had other things in mind and by her next lesson was back to wailing and carrying on, and continuing her fear of the water. This week however, I believe she finally convinced herself that she can do it! At her lesson on Wed. she swam half the width of the pool twice all by herself!!! And last night when we went to the pool she didn't want to swim with her "floating vest" until about 5 minutes before we got out. I think she swam for about 35-40 minutes on her own (with us close by of course!) and was having a blast! She's even started to look forward to going to the pool and asks constantly throughout the day to go. Needless to say, we are excited to see her learn this new skill and enjoy time in the pool.

Here are a few pictures I took of the kids after her lesson the other day. I'm going to try and get some of Kaleia swimming soon so you can all see. :)


One kid looking...

...then the other one...not having much luck these days with both of them looking at the same time!

Caught in the act! Brodie loves to drink the pool water, despite warnings from his mama.

Sure is a cute pose! Just wish I knew what they were looking at! :)

1 comment:

bean said...

oh, yay - there is hope. thanks for posting this. maggie is freaking out about swimming whenever we try as well - it seems like there is absolutely no progress whatsoever, but it sounds like kaleia's breakthrough was unexpected as well. but i am certainly going to wait until i am less of a hormonal wreck before taking her back again. i don't think i can handle it. :)